Why SEO lost importance
Cameron Chapman wrote an interesting post at instantShift today, he explain well about the position of SEO in web development & internet marketing world lately which is getting less & less important.
Social media is a big part of the blame for this situation. People can now ask their friends or complete strangers for recommendations on virtually anything, and get human-filtered results within minutes through Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking sites. Internet users are also becoming more savvy and can cut through search results to find the best content, regardless of optimal placement for the best keywords.
Even in cases where search engines still send significant traffic to a site, search engines are becoming so much more intelligent that it’s getting harder and harder to get good placement unless you’re providing the best content.
According to Chapman’s article, the 7 main reasons why SEO is getting less important are:
- FacebookNot arguably is one of the biggest internet player with more than 500 millions active users. Facebook has change the behaviour of internet users, rather than finding the information through search engine, they now prefer to find the information through their network on facebook (groups, friends)
- Social Networking & Newsmany peoples really active in social networking and news aggregators nowdays (Digg, Reddit, Delicious, Stumbleupon etc.), they exchange/sharing relevance links for specific topics, tagging & rate informations in which will help others to find the relevant info easily and more accurate rather than trying to find that info in search engine
- Better search engine alogarithm I personally think that SEO has turn internet world into a “spam” world where people trying to put non relevance info into their sites just to have more presence in search engine. But it was then, now search engine become more intellegent, getting smarter which makes on-site SEO strategies less effective nad getting hard to put the site up in search engine result position.
- Blog Roundups & Showcase Blog is getting popular indeed and has completely transformed from personal content into proffesional & community presence, roundups & showcase with selective list about spesific topics helps people to find info in 1 place with many alternative solutions
- Twitter no doubt twitter is the one of the biggest reason why SEO lost its importance, twitter has its change the way internet users sharing informations, exchange links, searching for topics, bookmarking favourite info in short and quick way, its become one of the biggest target of internet marketing media
- People already have favourite sites most active internet users already have favourite sites for specific topics, bookmarked it and visit it regulary, rather than searching for topics in search engine they prefer to find the info in these website which they already familiar with and trust as a good resources for themselves
- More Savvy Searchers yes we’re all more savvy, more familiar and know better how to get less result but more accurate in search engine with long tail and custom keywords
- Very active Q & A websites with pro users I add my own reason, even this is related with point 6 but i think more specific these kind of website seems to send SEO into its end. When people use search engine they want to find info & “how to” information, These kind of websites provide them with more accurate info from pros and experienced people whom has struggling with the same thing before and has working solutions for that.
As developer i really love stackoverflow and its network sites, i can get working solutions faster than when i tried to find the same info in search engine, social network sites or or blog/news aggregator sites since it organized into very specific topics and supported by pros in that topics as well.