ASP Classic Programming Still Alive
Today i found several articles which are talk about asp programming (ASP 3.0) and state that classic asp was dead, i personaly do not agree, please dissagree, if the reason were the development process, yes asp was no longer developed by microsoft since they released .NET, but there are many reason why i said classic asp is still alive
- there are milions website which are using asp scripting language as the core of their application and would not migrate it (i believe that).
- Many web developers still playing with classic asp programming
- Many new website build by classic asp programming (still)
- tutorials? help? there are many of them on the web
Classic asp programming no longer popular, yes thats true, i myself believe that some of the reason are:
- No longer developed by Microsoft
- Many educational institution were no longer have classic asp in their subjects, because they should running parallel with technology or they will loose their students, this is the impact of the first reason
- Just few of beginners choose classic asp as their choosen language, because they never heard classic asp or they do not have classic asp in their subjects in their college
Classic asp programming is not dead, it is more like forgotten artist where media no longer publish articles about it, but it has it’s own community, it’s own fans, and its power still relevan to be used to build powerfull web base application nowdays, it is able to collaborate it with the latest web technology, one of the weakness of classic asp is in few cases it needs 3rd party component to support it.
Classic ASP programming is the beautifull language in simplicity why? it is traditional and only has basic functionality, whenever you need a custom function/method you need to build it yourself. This make it different, this is usefull to exercise your programming logic. For example if you need to clear the HTML tags in PHP you simply apply the striptags method but in classic asp you need to build your own code with your own programming logic.
Below are some usefull links of Classic ASP Programming.
Classic ASP Framework, AJAX Framework, OOP, Template Engine
- Classic ASP Frameworks CLASP 2.0 or Classic ASP Framework @ codeproject
- Ajax on Classic ASP Ajaxed @ webdevbros.net
- Template Engine for Classic ASP ASP Template @ webdevbros.net
- OOP (Object Oriented Programming) on Classic ASP (VBS) Classic ASP OOP @ stardeveloper.com or OOP Tutorial @ asp101.com
URL Rewrite in Classic ASP?, you can use 3rd party component or techniques below:
Classic ASP Tutorials, Helps, Tips and Tricks
- MSDN Library about Classic ASP
- ASP Programming Cheat Sheets @ ilovejackdaniels.com
- ASP tutorials @ w3schools
- Tutorials and Samples of Implementations
- Classic ASP Security Image Generator (CAPTCHA)
If there were no hosting providers that support classic asp scripting, i prefer to jump out to PHP or Ruby on Rails rather than .NET why? read this 8 Reasons to Stick with ASP 3.0 in 2006 (and 2007). Since Bill Gates and his team were very confident with the release of .NET what if they give us a gift by putting classic ASP as an opensource, well it will be a history and i believe will raise back the “beauty language” to be a real artist no more forgotten artist.